Why Choose Silk Curtain Fabric
Drapes and curtains are a key design element in interior decoration. They’re often used as an accent or punctuation for an interior decor motif. Along with being an important aesthetic component, drapes and curtains also serve a functional purpose by helping to keep interior rooms cool (blocking incoming light) and providing additional privacy from the outside.
Silk fabric material is an ideal choice. The fabric’s natural fiber composition provides a luxurious appearance that is best described as shimmery, airy and light textured material. Silk fibers are dyed in numerous colors and woven to produce a rich colored fabric in a variety of textures and designs. Order silk material by the yard and at distributor wholesale silk curtain fabric prices at Decorative Fabric Direct.
Popular Types of Silk Drapery Fabric Designs and Constructions
We offer a range of silk fabric colors and styles to choose from. Below is a guide to the differences between the most popular types of silk drapery fabric:
- Dupioni silk fabric - Dupioni is a very common type of silk fabric known for its highly lustrous sheen and characteristic vertical lines in the woven fabric, also known as slubs. Along with curtains and drapes, Dupioni is commonly used for formal dresses and gowns.
- Taffeta silk fabric - is a crisp, smooth, plain woven fabric made from silk. It is considered to be a "high-end" fabric, suitable for use in ball gowns, wedding dresses, and in interior decoration for curtains or wall-coverings.
- Jacquard silk fabric - Silk jacquard is defined by a unique matte weave that incorporates reflective silk fibers to give a luster that has contrasting lights and darks. Jacquard silk patterns often feature floral motifs.
- Textured silk fabric - Textured silk is simply a weaving process to provide an overall appearance of horizontal and/or vertical lines throughout the surface.
- Faux silk fabric - Faux silk is predominantly made of polyester fibers and has the shimmer and lightness of natural silk while being much more durable and less expensive.
Silk Material FAQs
Where to buy silk drapery material?
Few textile suppliers specialize in natural silk drapery material. If you’re decorating project calls for the purchase high quality silk fabric for your curtains, accent pillows or draperies, Decorative Fabrics Direct offers a selection of silk drape and curtain fabric in various colors, textures and designs. Order silk drapery material by the yard at distributor wholesale prices.
How is silk made into fabric?
The processes used to make silk fabric begins with harvesting silkworm cocoons. Silkworm breeders then expose the cocoons to heat to prevent mature worms from emerging which would destroy the cocoon fiber. The silk cocoons are boiled briefly to remove a small amount of sericin, which is a glue-like substance that silkworms excrete to form their metamorphosis chambers.
The cocoons are formed from one long strand of fiber and when unraveled results in a single string of silk. The silk strands are then twisted together forming a yarn and at this point in the process the yarn is ready to be dyed and then woven into a fabric.
How do you clean silk drapes?
It is not often that draperies would need more than a light dusting but if there is a need for cleaning silk draperies our recommendation is as follows:
Your silk draperies are a significant investment and although it is possible to clean them yourself, we strongly urge you to use a professional cleaning service which would typically use a dry cleaning process.