What is Linen Fabric?
Linen fabric is a very popular and well known type of upholstery fabric that is made from the flax plant (scientific name: Linum usitatissimum).
Linen fabric is known to have the following properties:
- Breathable - linen is great for hot and humid climates because air can flow easily through, easily wicking away moisture and keeping you cool and comfortable
- Textured appearance - because of its composition and the irregularity of the flax plant fibers, linen has a somewhat textured appearance that help it stand out among other types of upholstery fabric
- Durability - this is a highly durable fabric that is actually stronger when wet than when it is dry
- Versatility - you’ll often hear about linen when talking about the apparel industry, but it's a highly versatile fabric that makes great upholstery and curtain fabric
Additionally, the flax plant has a lower impact on the environment than many other types of textiles.
Different Types of Linen Upholstery and Drapery Fabric
As mentioned before, linen fabric is highly versatile so there are a wide range of colors, patterns, designs, and styles to choose from. Some of the most popular colorways include:
- White linen fabric - the most common type of linen fabric by far and commonly used in curtain and drapery applications
- Floral pattern linen fabric - floral patterns are popular for upholstery of sofas and chair, but can also be used to add an accent in the interior decor through drapery or curtain fabric
- Striped linen fabric - Similar to floral pattern fabric, striped linen fabric is highly popular for chair and sofa upholstery applications
- Sheer linen fabric - sheer linen fabric allows more light to come through because of the low density of the knitting, often a great accompaniment for drapes and curtains
Faux or Blended Linen Fabric
Compared to 100% full linen fabric, there are many options for faux or “blended” linen fabrics that will give you additional softness, fewer creases, and a lower price point but with all of the same benefits of 100% linen.
The majority of blended linen fabric is done so with cotton fibers, however, you may also find a linen blend that includes rayon fabric, which provides additional heft and drape of rayon.