Buy Upholstery Fabric Online
At DecorativeFabricsDirect.com you can buy furniture upholstery fabric at wholesale factory direct pricing. We’ve been in business for over 70 years distributing the top upholstery fabric brands including Waverly, Sunbrella, P/Kaufmann, Covington, Richloom, Premier Prints and Naugahyde. You can count on receiving the highest quality upholstery fabric at the best prices available when shopping with us for furniture upholstery online. Whether you’re a consumer, commercial upholsterer or part-time hobbyist, DecorativeFabricsDirect.com is the online upholstery fabric store where you’ll find the perfect fabric for your next project or job.
Our selection includes a wide variety of upholstery fabric styles and constructions that range from casual checks to elegant floral designs. Browse from thousands of selections of quality furniture upholstery fabric featuring the finest brands in the industry. This category of furniture upholstery material includes recommended choices for formal sofa and chair upholstery, casual and heavy use furniture upholstery and numerous selections of the best upholstery fabric for dining room chairs.
There are a lot of reasons to shop for upholstery fabric online as opposed to in a local store. As a national upholstery fabric retailer offering mill direct prices, we have the advantage of a massive selection while making it extremely easy for you to shop upholstery fabric by color, upholstery fabric by brand, upholstery fabric by use and by style without having to leave your home. We offer the ability to shop and buy upholstery fabric swatches or samples online so you can make sure the fabric is the perfect style, pattern, texture and finish for your decorating project.
We are among the largest online distributors of upholstery fabric offering quality fabrics at the lowest prices and with exceptional service to all of our customers. Shop our huge selection of upholstery fabric by the yard today.
Common Uses of Furniture Upholstery Fabric
Furniture upholstery fabric has a variety of applications in residential and commercial decor. Many of our customers are shopping upholstery fabric as a primary covering for sofas, sitting chairs, love seats, couches, dining room chairs and futons. Others are shopping for a fabric to be used for a padded headboard, bed covering or pillows. Still others are in need of a fabric with an extremely high durability for uses such as restaurant booths, doctors office seating and lobby furniture.
For use other than an indoor residential environment, customers will be shopping for a furniture fabric appropriate for outdoor spaces such as patios, porches, decks, pool areas and courtyards. In these situations, DecorativeFabricsDirect.com offers a huge selection of the finest quality high performance weather resistant outdoor upholstery fabric featuring the finest brands in the industry including Sunbrella.
Popular Types of Furniture Upholstery Fabric
You’ll want to choose the right furniture upholstery fabric determined by your personal preference and intended use of the furniture to be upholstered. Fabric variables such as color, design, texture, durability, weight and finish should be considered in making your final decision. DecorativeFabricsDirect.com has a wide range of furniture upholstery fabric for any decorating project.
Below are some of our most popular types of furniture upholstery fabric and a little bit about them:
Additionally, we offer lightweight, medium weight, and heavyweight furniture upholstery fabric types for your projects.
- Velvet Upholstery Fabric - Velvet is a shiny and soft upholstery textile fabric that typically boasts an even pile height. It can be made from a wide range of natural and man made fibers including cotton, polyester, mohair, rayon and silk. Velvet is an excellent choice for a formal as well as a casual setting.
- Jacquard Woven Upholstery Fabric - Jacquard is a type of fabric made on a Jacquard loom and can be composed of several different types of yarn fibers. Jacquard woven upholstery fabrics typically have a wide range of woven pattern designs and may have a raised pattern.
- Microsuede Upholstery Fabric - Microsuede is a relatively new fabric that is made from synthetic fibers. It is highly stain and scuff resistant and boasts a relatively low pile with a soft smooth feel.
- Linen Upholstery Fabric - Linen upholstery fabric is woven using yarn fiber derived from the flax plant. The fabric is highly durable and soft and is at home in an elegant and casual setting.
- Cotton Duck Upholstery Fabric - Cotton duck is a canvas type upholstery weight fabric woven with cotton yarn fibers. The fabric is often used in casual upholstery applications.
- Chenille Upholstery Fabric - Chenille is actually a type of fabric yarn used to make a furniture upholstery textile that is very soft, plush, and has a a light sheen. Chenille is an excellent choice for a cozy furniture piece.
- Mohair Velvet Upholstery Fabric - Mohair Velvet is a very plush, durable and resilient velvet upholstery fabric made using yarn shorn from Angora goats. It can be dyed in rich and beautiful colors and has great insulating properties. It is resistant to moisture wicking, stretching and creasing and is inherently flame resistant.
Popular Designs of Furniture Upholstery Fabric
When it comes to design and pattern options for furniture upholstery fabric, DecorativeFabricsDirect.com has thousands of selections. Whether you’re looking for something modern, classic, sophisticated, refined, vintage, or just fun, we have an upholstery fabric pattern that will fit the bill. Below are some of our most popular furniture upholstery fabric patterns.
- Floral Upholstery Fabric - Floral designs and patterns can convey a range of aesthetics. You can get a lush accent pattern that provides contrast to a solid colored wall, or you can get a floral pattern that emanates a tropical appeal. These patterns usually feature flowers and other flora in a patterned layout.
- Check Upholstery Fabric - Check is a basic plaid pattern which usually features a plain base colored fabric that has two intersecting lines of additional complimentary colors criss-crossing in layers over the base color.
- Buffalo Check Upholstery Fabric - Buffalo check or buffalo plaid is similar to a standard plaid patterned upholstery fabric, but with one key distinction: the size of the checks are much larger.
- Striped Upholstery Fabric - Striped upholstery fabric comes in a wide range of styles, colors, and stripe sizes. This upholstery fabric can be either refined and subtle or loud and demonstrative in aesthetic and appeal.
- Ticking Stripe Upholstery Fabric - A ticking stripe is a specific type of striped upholstery fabric that most often features a solid colored stripe (usually vertical) with thinner stripes of the same color on either side of the stripe. It gives the pattern the appearance of larger stripes without it being too bold.
- Toile Upholstery Fabric - Toile is a specific pattern where a complex scene is repeated over a plain, light-colored background. The pattern is typically pastoral or floral in nature.
- Solid Colored Upholstery Fabric - Any upholstery fabric of any fabric type that is a single color oftentimes referred to as a plain fabric.
Popular Furniture Upholstery Fabric Brands
Decorative Fabrics Direct has been in the home decorating fabric industry for over 70 years. We have established relationships with the industry leading brands allowing us to offer our customers quality fabric at the the most affordable wholesale and factory direct prices in the marketplace. Below are some of our most popular furniture upholstery fabric brands.
- Waverly Upholstery Fabric - Waverly is a classic American brand used nationwide in countless upholstery applications. From elegant and colorful Waverly floral fabric to casual textures and designs, Waverly upholstery fabric and Waverly drapery fabric is a perfect choice for interior decor.
- P/Kaufmann Upholstery Fabric - P/Kaufmann was founded in New York City in 1957 and is one of the world’s largest and most respected producers of decorative woven upholstery fabric for the home and for hospitality venues. They have a broad array of designs ranging from traditional to contemporary.
- Sunbrella Upholstery Fabric - Sunbrella is best known as an industry leading brand of weather-resistant high performance outdoor furniture fabric. However, Sunbrella fabrics are also produced for interior use when a durable and cleanable fabric is desired.
- P/K Lifestyles Upholstery Fabric - P/K Lifestyles is a division of P/Kaufmann and is a leading converter of decorative indoor and outdoor print and woven upholstery fabrics serving a wide range of industries. When it comes to a broad selection of quality fabric with beautiful design and texture, you need to look no further.
- Richloom Upholstery Fabric - Richloom is an American-founded textile company that specializes in durable, attractive fabrics suitable for a wide range of applications including indoor and outdoor upholstery. With a variety of price points and designs, you are sure to find a great selection among those offered in this brand.
- Covington Upholstery Fabric - Covington is one of the world’s most respected textile converters providing decorative, high quality products worldwide. Each year Covington launches hundreds of exciting and trend-leading designs for every market we serve.
- Premier Prints Upholstery Fabric - Premier Prints is one of the most successful fabric brands in the country. Affordable designer printed fabrics range from traditional to modern and can be used in a variety of applications including furniture upholstery, drapery, quilting, bedding, and pillows.
Furniture Upholstery Fabric FAQs
Where to buy upholstery fabric online?
You can buy upholstery fabric online at several online retailers. At DecorativeFabricsDirect.com you can shop a huge inventory of the finest quality furniture upholstery fabric brands, patterns, styles and colors all at mill direct pricing from a trusted distributor of fine interior fabrics since 1947. You can also order swatches or samples of our upholstery fabric before you purchase by the yard. Each order is measured, inspected and professionally packaged before shipping. You can count on us to deliver Quality Fabric, Recognized Value, and Industry Leading Service.
Where to order upholstery fabric swatches online?
At DecorativeFabricsDirect.com you are able to order upholstery fabric swatches and samples online. Not sure if your upholstery design or color is going to work with your room’s interior decor? Want to make sure that your upholstery fabric is the right durability for the job? Shop our selection of upholstery fabric and order swatches to take a closer look before you purchase by the yard.
How do I clean upholstered furniture?
There are many different recommended methods for cleaning upholstered furniture and the proper method is determined by the type of upholstery fabric, the type of dirt or stain and what tools you have at your disposal. For the vast majority of dirt and stains that you’re likely to run into a cup of warm distilled water (non-distilled water can leave residue behind from minerals), a small amount of dish detergent and distilled white vinegar will get the job done. Here’s the process:
- Mix together 2 cups of distilled water, 1 tablespoon dish soap and 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar.
- Dip a microfiber cloth in the cleaning solution. Dab at the stain until it starts to fade. Don’t rub or scrub as that can damage the upholstery.
- Once the stain has loosened, dip another microfiber cloth with only distilled water and dab at the wet spot to remove as much soap as possible.
- Then gently dab with a dry cloth to soak up as much moisture as possible.
- Afterwards you can air dry or use a fan or hair dryer on a medium setting to help dry the wet area.
Even though you can remove some stains at home with the method described above,
always check the manufacturer instructions before you undertake any upholstery cleaning on your own
. If you see a “W” or “WS” on the tags of new furniture, you’ll be good to clean it with the method above. Furniture tagged with “S” will need a solvent-based cleaner so the method above will likely not work. If you purchased your fabric from DecorativeFabricsDirect.com, the appropriate cleaning code and cleaning instructions are displayed in the fabric specification section on each individual fabric page.
How do I measure furniture for upholstery fabric?
To receive a general idea of the amount of fabric that will be needed to to cover a given style of furniture, we suggest you refer to the following link that will display our estimated yardage chart
. However, there are numerous factors such as loose or fixed cushions, repeat of the fabric design, arm caps and skirt options that need to be considered and will be calculated by the manufacturer or the upholsterer of your furniture. If you are considering an upholstery fabric from DecorativeFabricsDirect.com, the repeat of the fabric design and the width of the fabric can be found displayed on each specific fabric page as your fabricator will need that information to make an accurate calculation and to advise you of the yardage of fabric you should purchase. You will have the option to have us ship your upholstery fabric order to your address or direct to that of your fabricator.What is the best fabric to reupholster a couch?
Other than the selection of a style, color and feel that is pleasing to you, the intended use of the furniture piece is the most important factor to consider when determining the best fabric to reupholster your couch, sofa or chair. The suitability and durability of the fabric is key to your long use and enjoyment of a furniture piece. An industry "Double Rub Rating" test is used for exactly this purpose. With very few exceptions the fabric available at DecorativeFabricsDirect.com will display the double rub rating which will be a number or letter code that has the following definition.
General Guidelines for Residential Upholstered Furniture:
- Under 5000 Double Rub Rating or code "LD" is suitable for home decor light duty upholstery use (not daily use, more for decorative appeal).
- 5000 - 14900 Double Rub Rating or code "MD" is suitable for medium use home decor upholstery applications such as living rooms.
- 15000 - 29900 Double Rub Rating or code "RD" is suitable for everyday regular and heavy use home decor upholstery applications.
- 30000 Double Rub Rating and above or code "HD" is suitable for residential and commercial upholstery subjected to "extreme use".
Code "LDO" indicates a selection of fabric that is only recommended for 'light duty outdoor' upholstery applications where cushions do not receive regular use and can be easily removed and stored away from harmful UV light when not in use. These selections are not intended for normal indoor furniture upholstery as they are not constructed to withstand the abrasion of regular use. If you are in need of a more durable outdoor fabric that can also be used for indoor upholstery, we recommend a
High Performance Indoor-Outdoor Fabric
from Sunbrella, Bella-Dura, Performatex, Richloom and Covington.
Stain resistant and easy clean furniture upholstery fabric is a popular choice, Decorative Fabrics Direct has thousands to select from including fabric that has been treated with a factory applied stain repellent and fabric that is woven with fibers that are inherently stain resistant, all can be viewed in our Stain Resistant Fabric
selections.What is the most durable fabric for upholstery?
To be exact in this answer, products would range from faux leather upholstery vinyl
to extremely high performance upholstery textiles constructed and styled for commercial furniture upholstery
. We offer both but most consumers are likely to be looking for a residential styled high performance soft upholstery fabric that can stand up to heavy use and is stain resistant and easy to clean. For heavy duty residential use we recommend selecting an upholstery fabric that has an industry double rub durability rating of 30,000 or more and has a stain repellent applied or is woven with inherently stain resistant fibers. We recommend using our Home Decor Fabric Menus
to search the style and color of your preference and then be sure to check the item specification section of the individual fabric page that will display the double rub rating and if a fabric is stain resistant.